Saturday, October 17, 2009

Leading up to Harvest Holiday weekend!!!

I am currently sitting in the comfort of my family's kitchen because it is a lovely holiday weekend! I think the college just makes up holidays at crucial points in the semester so they can avoid a student revolution.... but whatever the reason I'm so grateful for the time off!

Monday Oct 12th
No ballroom practice in the morning because the entire team (except for me) was in California.... I enjoyed the sleep in time! Basically all that happened today was classes and studying.... and P90x cardio workout! Which I really really like... I think it's too soon to say that it's my favorite, but I really enjoyed the routine.

Tuesday Oct 13th Hospital Shift
The best story of this blog and probably makes the top ten most ridiculous stories of the semester.... So I'm at my hospital shift, and part of my job is to help new/first time mothers learn how to effectively breast feed.  But before I continue, allow me to fill in some of the backround.
  1. It's breast cancer awareness month and so all of the staff in the hospital are wearing the pink breast cancer ribbon pins....
  2. When women lose weight, (super unfair) one of the first places they lose fat is their bustal region.
  3. Alycia has been losing weight....make the connection......
  4. Alycia was working out right before her hospital shift and is wearing a "strap-em-down" device as opposed to"show-em-off" equipment....okay now we're caught up 
So I go in to help this woman breast feed and I hand her baby to her and I'm getting everything in position and walking her through it, and then while I'm helping her breast-feed she asks me...

Woman: "Are you a breast cancer survivor?"
Alycia: realizing the pin on my vest, "Oh, no. I'm not."
Woman: "Oh my gosh.... I totally thought you'd had a mastetomy...." (For all of you who don't know/remember what that is, that's when women who've had breast cancer have their breasts surgically removed....awesome...)
Alycia: "oh....." awkward silence....
Woman: "It's just that the rest of your body is really curvy, and your chest...........I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said anything."

I walked out of that room so stunned....absolutely speechless.... Ladies, you know when people ask you how far along you are...and you're NOT PREGNANT how awkward, embarassing and insulting that is? This totally trumps that!
What she had really said to me was, "Oh your bust is so disproportionate to the rest of your body that you look like you had your breasts cut off."....how do you recover from that? haha.
As offended as I was by that, the humor of the situation overshadowed any real feelings of hurt or embarassment.  I've never been busty, EVER, it's just not in the genetic cards for me....and I've tried to come to terms with that for....well....since I understood that I wasn't in "proper proportion" lol.

Wednesday Oct 14th
Had a great day! Ballroom in the morning, classes all day, workout after, then homework.....
The student senate is voting on a bill that determines the amount of funding that will be given to the BDC (ballroom dance company) and that funding determines tour team's financial ability to compete at Nationals in November.... but omg. Senate is ridiculous, and it's modeled after the US Senate...and now I finally understand why our country cannot make any decisions or come to a concensus on ANYTHING.....needless to say, our bill was postponed for yet another week....which is lame sauce to the nth degree.

Then the highlight of my entire week. watching GLEE. That show makes my life worth living lol. I seriously plan my week around NOTHING getting in the way of me watching that show! I just tell myself, "Make it to Wednesday." And then Glee gives me the motivation to make it through the rest of the week..... And the songs they have picked continue to follow perfectly along with what's going on in my life....
This week's rendition of "Keep Holding On" couldn't have been more timely!

I was over at Ariel's house watching Glee with her, her roommates and all of their love interests.... And then my lovely friend Becka had made an adorably decorated cake for her boyfriends birthday and so we spent the rest of the night having an AWESOME birthday party...

Basically sleep deprivation isn't even a big deal anymore.... And seeing as our (the BDC dancers) days are so packed, the only time we can be with friends is at night, meaning that we trade our sleep for the stress-relief of a social life :) I think it's a good trade....cuz seriously, we're tired no matter what lol.
watching glee

Thursday Oct 15th
I returned home from the epic birthday party extravaganza at um....3 a.m. so the 5a.m. wake up call wasn't necessarily "welcome" but practice went well, seeing as I was in a great mood from having so much....dare I say it......FUN.......it's a rediscovered thing for me *wink*
After practice I went back to bed. Oh story!
So apparently on Wednesday, my roommate threw a huge dinner party and used...basically every dish in our house, and a bunch of towels were on the floor, there is stuff (I say stuff because I couldn't positively identify every substance) all over the kitchen floor. There are dishes piled in the sink and overflowing piles on all the surrounding countertops and the bathroom.....please, don't even make me relive that with a description.....But because it was so late (early) I tried to ignore the developing biohazard and sleep for the allotted 2 hours.

Anyways, here's where this gets juicy.... my roommate who was responsible for this debauchery left for the weekend before cleaning any of this up.....
What I really want to do after a day of studying chemistry and anatomy is spend three hours cleaning up after someone elses party...so I'd just like to take this chance to express to the cyber world my appreciation for that little stunt my roommate pulled. note: sarcasm

Loaded and unloaded the dishwasher 4 times, 3 loads of laundry, scrubbed down the bathrooms, and swept and SCRUBBED the kitchen floor......best day of my life.

By the time I had finished all of that, it was time for all of my evening plans to begin....this is what a typical night looks like for me, and the plans for thursday..
  • Attend the first hour of the girls' volleyball game
  • Then ballroom practice for several hours
  • Then the Institute social and dance

Friday Oct 16th 
Today was quite the whirlwind.... Class, Class, Anatomy lab practical exam, Chemistry exam, running home to pack as fast as humanly possible and being at Lizzy's apartment building in time to be able to eat lunch, fill up the car with gas and get on the road.

Anyone who knows me knows....I HATE DRIVING DISTANCE. Ten minute drives, no big deal.... but you start talking into the 30+ range...and I am no longer comfortable with said plan..... And even though I love coming home, I would honestly rather sit in an airport for an hour, take the forty-five minute flight, and then wait another hour at the other airport than drive for 3 hours.... but luckily, today the drive felt like it took no time at all :) We just listened to music and talked the entire time...and it was almost nice...

Arriving home.... it's so weird to come back to your house when it's not "your house" anymore.... it's like seeing an exboyfriend with someone else, or someone wearing your hand-me-down clothing.... something that used to belong to you, but that you can't really ever get back. And even if you had it back, it's still never going to be the same....sigh.....
It's great to see the family, and as soon as I got back I had to get ready for one of my childhood friend's wedding reception...

Holy surreal.... Whitney and I have talked about marriage since we were eleven years old.... and when I walked into that reception center and saw her dress....I couldn't believe it, and I almost started crying! I'm so happy for her, and deeper down, I'm a little jealous...
It's always at these receptions where all of the sweet old folks ask inappropriate questions and assume that something must be wrong with you if you are approaching 20 and still have no marriage prospects...
But I am that young lol. Maturity doesn't change the fact that I still have a "teen" attached to my current age... and contrary to popular belief, YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE, A FREAK, OR A SPINSTER IF YOU ARE NOT MARRIED BEFORE YOU'RE TWENTY-ONE.

Overall the reception was really fun, and Jaime and I spent the entire time making fun of things and laughing about nothing. Afterward I was able to spend time with two of my best guys Bryant and Blaine. We spent four hours talking about books, attraction theories, genetics and politics.....sigh.... I love intellectual conversation! It's like a breath of fresh air when I say something generally considered 'geeky' and people not only know what I'm talking about, but can continue the topic! *big smile*

Saturday Oct 17th
Slept in my own bed....even though it's not really mine....in my old room, which has very little resemblance to what my room used to look like.....
Not knowing quite what to do with myself. I promised myself nothing academic all weekend because my brain is fried from studying.... but I decided that blogging isn't really academic...so I compromised!

I ran errands and was treated to lunch with my parents, and then went on a group date with Lizzy's younger brother....which was super fun, but a little weird because he's younger than me....and I usually refuse to date boys who are my age lol, my policy is usually 3 years up.....but whatever exceptions can be made!

Plans for the rest of Saturday
  1. A date that my cousin Brittany is setting me up on..... which should be fun :) It's dinner and bowling! Dinner is usually good, and bowling is just a great excuse to look like an idiot and wear ugly shoes.
  2. Hang out with Jaime, hopefully have our own little dance party!
  3. Maybe see Blake? If he ever calls me back....jerk face.....
Now you are current! I know that I try to blog more often so that it stays informative and fun....instead of like reading for homework haha.
Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Until next time,
Bon Voyage!

No comments:

Post a Comment