Friday, October 2, 2009

It is amazing what can happen in less than a week....

Hello Lovely people!

Aren't you proud of me for blogging like I'm supposed to? Instead of waiting 4 years to write stuff down?! Well, I am, even if you aren't :)

Wow I have STORIES for ya'll.... so let's pick up where we left off.

Tuesday Sep 29th
Tuesdays are entirely lab days for me, chemistry lab, we did the most complicated experiment EVER, just brace yourselves for this one.... we put a thermometer in water and had the record the boiling temperature. Now, I know you are all soooooo blown away by my scientific prowess, but try to contain your awe.

Ugh, I CAN'T STAND THAT LAB, I hate it, with the passion of a thousand fiery suns! I spent 2 years in a genetics lab in high school....dealing with DNA typing, gene manipulation, protein synthesis and all sorts of totally awesome experiments... and honestly I'm bored out of my mind and insulted by this lab and the fact that although it's supposed to "go along with the Chemistry lecture"....it has nothing to do with what we're learning....

Physiology lab, is great because it actually is the practical application of what we're learning in lecture! This week we learned how to use this fancy-pants computer system that measures the electrical impulses throughout the body which means we can measure just about anything.... When it came time to learn how to read heart impulses I wanted to be hooked up to the machine! My family has a history of heart problems and defects and I've been having trouble with my heart.... so I wanted to see what my readings would look like. Um, turns out that Alycia's heartbeat is FOR SURE irregular.... the professor was stunned by the read out, and I was too once we compared what my heart looked like compared to everyone elses! Another cool thing, is that one of the married girls in the class is pregnant, and the machine could pick up the heart rate of the baby! Yay miracle of life!

Okay, so today was haircut day. I try to be really good about trimming my hair every six weeks, and I change the color all the time too lol, which I'm sure anyone who knows me....knows that my hair will be different every 6 weeks without fail.... Okay, so one time, I thought it would be a really fun idea to perm my hair... worst idea ever. It fried my hair, and I've been growing out the damage for the past year and a half... well the stylist today told me that if I gave up three inches, I would be done with the damage..... so I said go for it before I change my mind. This is the shortest my hair has ever been....but I LOVE IT. It's cute and sophisticated and so much easier to care for! And get this..... people have been taking me seriously...... like changing my hair added two years and made me respectable lol. It's also dyed red still, but way closer to my natural hair color than it's been in a while. I will post a picture on here when I can get a good one :)

Immediately following getting my hair done, I had my hospital shift in OB. and holy craziness! We had 3 inductions scheduled for the evening, 3 women postpartum, and get this, 4 women who came in after going into labor. It was NUTS. So we have one side of the hall full of families and women welcoming babies and raising all kinds of issues, and then the postpartum ladies needed something every 5 seconds.... my shift is usually scheduled for 4 hours.... I was there for six, they needed that much help! In the 6 hours that I was there, five babies were born :) And so I got to see lots of behbies!

Wednesday September 30th
By FAR the funniest story of this blog!
After classes, I realized that I didn't really have any food....or gas in my car....or an assortment of other things because I hadn't had time to run errands in a while.... so I decided to take care of that....

I have a hidden talent. For picking out the WORST possible shopping carts. Today's model.... sounded like I was running over a small dog with a weed-whacker, shook uncontrollably and wouldn't steer straight. I know- you're impressed *wink* So I'm attempting to drive my abomination of a shopping vehicle through the aisles at Walmart when my cart decides to veer off into a febreeze display....and proceeds to introduce the ENTIRE display to the floor. Like it collapsed the display. Cans roll everywhere, some from the top part of the display hit the ground and explode, and needless to say, Alycia drew plently of unwanted attention to herself. It was one of those moments where you stand there in complete disbelief thinking, "Did that really just happen?" All I could do was laugh at how ridiculous the situation was. Seriously, Who does that?! Oh, I do apparently....haha The walmart workers were super sweet about it, and I was able to help them clean it up and make jokes, I think it was a start of a beautiful friendship haha.

The rest of the evening I spent with the six chicks, watching the best show ever. GLEE!!!! It's my favorite!
And then I got to do more homework and unwind with the girls.

Thursday October 1st
Slept in, sweet sweet justice!!! I love sleeping more than four hours! It's the best! I was taken out to breakfast by someone who means very much to me... and I'm just gonna let you all make up whoever you think that person is ;) haha. I went to institute, which was great, as usual. Then Megan, Lizzy and I stayed at the institute to practice piano and sing.
I've always loved singing, and in the past year my voice was dramatically improving, and then this summer I got my tonsils out, and it completely changed my singing voice... Alot of singing technique has to do with how you utilize the space in your mouth, and now without tonsils, my "mouth-space" is totally different. So it's like I have to learn how to sing all over again. So I've been working on my voice, and Megan and Lizzy are working on their piano, so it works out for all of us, because I sing while they play. :)

Today in singing, I was able to get some of my richness back! (Richness meaning tone quality) And even though is a long process, I'm still grateful to be able to sing and that my voice is coming back!

Ballroom practice=fun! Mucho bonding with the team, I love them sooooo much! The past teams have had to deal with a lot of drama, and I'm so happy/relieved that our team is full of chill people who just wanna dance and make friends instead of causing problems :) I'm in a waltz number, and there is this beautiful lift...which my partner and I have been able to hit flawlessly....up until last night. He totally tripped over his own feet and dropped me...from the height of his shoulders... he tried to catch me, and grabbed me by the arm... which has ended up in an injury....

Friday Oct 2nd
I wake up, and my shoulder HURTS, the kind of hurt that makes you want to cry. And i can't really lift it or rotate it in any direction. great. I go to classes, and my lovely professors canceled some of the classes today, meaning I got out early.... So I'm going to the chiropractor and seeing if he can fix my shoulder...
It almost feels like something is out of place...which I'm crossing my fingers for. Because if I injured my rotator cuff....that's major recovery, we're talking physical therapy recovery.....sigh.... I'll let you know as soon as I know!

Plans for the rest of the day
  1. See the chiropractor and pray that he can fix me!
  2. Take a nap, yay fridays :)
  3. Clean room, do laundry
  4. Get ready and go and see Macbeth with the six chicks
I'm so excited for conference this weekend, to be able to sit and do NOTHING except be inspired! I never used to like conference because it seemed so boring to me, but last year's october conference changed my entire perspective when a talk that President Uctdorf gave in the saturday morning session seemed as if it had been written for me....and I finally understood that conference was literally what God had inspired these Men and Women to say.... those words are God's words, and by listening to them there is only one person bridging the gap between me and my maker. That my friends, is a beautiful thing.
I'm so excited to hear what God has to say to me this year :) I could use some help right about now!

Moral of the blog:
Make sure that you can learn from your mistakes and laugh about your embarassments. Don't take yourself so seriously, trust me, no one else takes you that seriously.... Well unless you have an awesome new haircut WINK hahaha.
Love you all!

Until Next time,
Von voyage

No comments:

Post a Comment