Thursday, September 3, 2009

Catching up....

Hello everyone! Okay, so I realize that the point of a blog is to keep people updated.....but my trick is to find the time to actually update this crazy thing! So here we are.... I'm gonna give you guys a quick-ish run-down of the week since my last blog...

Monday Night:
Attempted to attend FHE....but when I arrived at the building it was locked, and I couldn't find anyone, and I didn't have anyone's number from the new ward.... FAIL. So I ended up spending time dance training with my friends  to prepare for auditions....because I had already finished all of my homework. Yay effective time management!

Tuesday, September 1st:
Slept in.... due to the beautiful fact that my chemistry lab doesn't start until  next week!!! Physiology lab was super boring....all we did was computer simulations of how different stimuli affect Nerve impulses.... which sounds really intense and complicated....but IT'S NOT. We literally clicked buttons as we were instructed and filled out a worksheet.... I know.....just try to contain your enthusiasm. (note: heavy sarcasm)

Inbetween Classes and  ballroom auditions, I was in a mad dash trying to get campus business/books/banking stuff figured out, wrap up some studying and get in top beauty condition as to impress at auditions.... I had dinner with Lizzy, which is one of the best stress relievers EVER.... and then was on my way to auditions!

When I arrived in the room, there were only a couple of people there....I used the time to warm up, stretch out and try to calm down... I'll admit I was pretty nervous. These auditions proved to be the biggest turnout that the ballroom company has ever had....over 215 people auditioned! and though the girls FAR outnumbered the guys, the amount of people was still a milestone for the BDC (Ballroom Dance Company). Learning the routines again was so boring.... and I remember just one year ago, at these auditions, not even being able to remember the steps, and after one year of intense training and classes, I realize that those were the most basic aspects of cha cha.... and it was really rewarding for me to see how far I've come, and how much I've improved :)

They had the advanced girls (I was one of them) Dance with the new boys who were auditioning, and then the advanced guys lined up to audition the masses of girls. After we had gotten through all of the newbies...Mark (the director) announces that there will be a dance off for the girls who were on the team previously.... and this dance off was literally a fight for your spot. Proving to the board of judges that you WERE the best, and that you deserved to be there.... because no one is safe at auditions, not even the veterans. Sure as veteran BDC members, we have an advantage....but someone could come and take your spot at anytime...even one of your "friends" from team....

I cannot remember the last time I was this nervous.... I was shaking, and felt dizzy, and really thought that I would throw up, pass out or fall prey to some form of an anxiety induced coma.....
But I gave it everything I had....and ended up surprising even myself....
You never know what you are capable of until you believe that you are capable, and then do it.
My heart was on that dance floor. Mark called me back to dance 3 different times in the "face-off" and each time was better than the time before!

At the end of the night my feet were bleeding, I was shaking uncontrollably and my legs were cramping.... but I can honestly say, that I have never been prouder of myself. No one really took me seriously when I said I was going to ballroom dance....not even me. But walking out of that audition, I felt so proud of myself for working so hard, and so grateful that God gave me the opportunity to dance again.

Wednesday September 2nd:
Up early, Physiology we reviewed for the test and I found out that I scored a 90% on my first quiz!!! Yesss!!! The morning was off the a great start! In my human psyc class....I was taking notes, but all I could think about was the posting list for the ballroom team.... I kept telling myself  that I would be happy with whatever happened, and that it would all work out..... but the butterflies in my stomach WOULD NOT let me focus.... As soon as the professor dismissed us, Annie and I booked it to the tap studio where the list was posted..... I got right outside the door and froze.... I almost couldn't walk in; I took a deep breathe and approached the lists....

Alycia S. .....TOUR TEAM

These were the words I had been waiting to see since I had learned about the ballroom team my junior year in high school....and now here they were. One of the most surreal things you'll ever experience is tangible evidence of a dream being realized.... I've always loved dance, and ever since seeing the movie "dance with me" when I was nine years old, I wanted to ballroom dance.... and now here I am, on the elite team of a college ballroom company.....

At this point, I had to walk outside to hide the fact that I was now in tears. So grateful, so blessed and so excited! And so happy! I immediately sent out a mass text to everyone who wanted to know the results of the audition and was able to talk to my mom on the phone really briefly. Thank you to all of you who have supported and inspired me, it means more to me than I could ever express in words!

The rest of the day's classes went by as usual....but BETTER. I was able to focus more, understand concepts more completely, and did it all with the biggest smile on my face. After classes came the usual three hours of homework...and then comes the FUN!!!

Mark had asked several of us who were experienced Salsa dancers (me!) do come and help him with a salsa workshopping class that he teaches on wednesday nights, and in exchange for helping we would get lessons of advanced steps! I say yes! IT WAS THE MOST FUN I HAVE HAD DANCING SALSA EVER.
The people in the classes were so excited about dancing and it was great to meet so many new people! And then the new moves that Mark taught us are AMAZING!!!! they are so fun to do, super flirty and basically my new favorite thing! After dance we were all soooo hungry from burning massive calories and so we all went to eat!

It was so nice to be with people from team again....they are my home away from home! After dance I came home and CRASHED.... my poor feet....sigh....they are so sad right now lol all blisted and cracked and bleeding....

Thursday morning, September 3rd:

Woke up at 5:00AM....which is gonna be my new favorite thing....because we have tour team (I smile everytime I say it....haha) practice at six a.m. At practice we basically went over the schedule for the semester and discussed touring options.... k how awesome is this..... depending on fundraising and everyone's budgets....we could tour JAPAN next june.... shut up! I know....

I don't really see us going to japan, just because of expenses....but other options included, France, Italy, East Coast (including New York) West Coast, California/Arizona and even Canada.... I'll be excited about it no matter where we go....but I sincerely hope that it's somewhere interesting!

Now I'm sitting in the ELC typing up this blog... so that all of you beautiful people can read about my life if you care to :)

Plans for the rest of the day:
  1. On campus business....
  2. Workout at home
  3. Homework and studying....approx 4 hours worth
  4. Go to institute class
  5. Finish studying
  6. Dinner and X-files night with the "Six Chicks" (Lizzy, Kylie, Brenna, Megan, Cambria & Myself)

I'm so excited about my life! Thrilled in fact! I've aced every test so far and have straight A's in every class.... I get to dance on Tour Team (SMILE) I'm volunteering at the hospital, I have great friends, an amazing family, a great ward, and zero boy drama! haha. I put my life in order, and now everything is falling into place.

IT IS TRUE when people say that when you put God first, everything else in your life will either find it's spot, or drop out of your life.... and now I get to live that :)
I hope you're all having a great day and that this blog finds you in high spirits!
I love you all!

Von Voyage!

2 comments:

  1. wow alycia darling!!! i am sooo proud of you! and im insanely jealous that you have this very well put together life all on your own and my life to put it simple is chaos right now. you seem to be doing very well for yourself and i hope i can somewhat lead my own life the way you seem to have lead yours. your my insperation and role model! love you bunches!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Audree, you are the SWEETEST THING!!!! I know life can get chaotic.... but you've just gotta stay organized, that's really the key to my success lol...
    I love you more!

    ReplyDelete